Posts Tagged ‘carbon monoxide detectors’


4 Home Heating Safety Tips

Thursday, January 4th, 2018

fireplace-maintenanceHome Heating Safety

The other day, I was cleaning his house when I found a one-inch piece of charcoal burnt into one of my couch cushions! It came from a piece of wood that popped from my fireplace to the couch.

While all that little chunk of ember did was burn a hole in the furniture, my house could have gone up in flames! I am thankful that all I have to do is turn the couch cushion around to hide the burn mark!

Most home fires happen during the winter months than any other time of year, when the cozy warmth of a fireplace is at its most inviting. Not only are fires a danger, space heaters are often used to heat rooms that need an extra boost; plus, home heating devices can produce an abundance of deadly carbon monoxide gas.

Seniors aged 65 and older are three times more likely to die or be injured in a house fire than other age groups. Not only that, but if you live in a newer home, reports are saying you may have less time to escape a fire because of synthetics.

Here are some important home heating safety tips to remember:

1) Check Your Chimney and Fireplace for Hazards
Have the chimney flue pipe checked each year if you or your loved one uses a wood-burning fireplace.

Make sure that there is a screen or glass in front of the fireplace to catch any wild sparks or moving logs. Keep flammable objects such as stockings and curtains away from the fireplace when in use.

2) Get the Proper Fire Extinguisher
Get an ABC multipurpose fire extinguisher for your home, read the manual so you and your loved ones know how to use it, and store it in a place where it is easily accessible in case of a fire.

OSHA gives some helpful tips for the workplace, hut they can apply to your home as well.

(more…)

Protect Your Family From Carbon Monoxide

Thursday, October 26th, 2017

carbon-monoxide-alarmWhat You Need To Know About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, The Silent Killer

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that is produced from carbon fuels like gas and oil and basically anything that burns.

You cannot see it, you cannot smell it, you cannot taste it, that’s why it is known as the silent killer.

Your home gas appliances if not maintained could leak carbon monoxide into the room they are located in.

One of the most common causes is the gas fire, they seem to get overlooked and are never maintained.

For the gas fire to burn correctly it needs to have a sufficient supply of fresh air, this is normally an air brick fitted into an outside wall somewhere in the same room. If sized properly it will supply enough air for the fire to burn correctly.

The chimney for the gas fire needs to be checked for blockages, so the products of combustion can be removed, if blocked, the products will enter the room.

The home central heating boiler is another cause of carbon monoxide if not maintained.

The most common boiler at risk is known as an open flue. This means like the gas fire it requires fresh air to combust correctly.

Another source of carbon monoxide poisoning is the barbecue.

How many times have you moved the barbecue into a closed area when the rain started falling down. Never when using the barbecue move it inside the house, it could be fatal.

What are the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide?

Some of the symptoms to look out for are feeling nausea, headaches, feeling sleepy, flu like symptoms. These are just a few to look out for.

(more…)