Protect Your Family From Carbon Monoxide


carbon-monoxide-alarmWhat You Need To Know About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, The Silent Killer

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that is produced from carbon fuels like gas and oil and basically anything that burns.

You cannot see it, you cannot smell it, you cannot taste it, that’s why it is known as the silent killer.

Your home gas appliances if not maintained could leak carbon monoxide into the room they are located in.

One of the most common causes is the gas fire, they seem to get overlooked and are never maintained.

For the gas fire to burn correctly it needs to have a sufficient supply of fresh air, this is normally an air brick fitted into an outside wall somewhere in the same room. If sized properly it will supply enough air for the fire to burn correctly.

The chimney for the gas fire needs to be checked for blockages, so the products of combustion can be removed, if blocked, the products will enter the room.

The home central heating boiler is another cause of carbon monoxide if not maintained.

The most common boiler at risk is known as an open flue. This means like the gas fire it requires fresh air to combust correctly.

Another source of carbon monoxide poisoning is the barbecue.

How many times have you moved the barbecue into a closed area when the rain started falling down. Never when using the barbecue move it inside the house, it could be fatal.

What are the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide?

Some of the symptoms to look out for are feeling nausea, headaches, feeling sleepy, flu like symptoms. These are just a few to look out for.

If you experience any of these symptoms take action straight away. Turn off any gas appliance, open all windows and doors, seek medical advise straight away.

How To Avoid Carbon Monoxide

Fit a carbon monoxide detector alarm in every room that has a gas appliance fitted, even if you use a wood or coal burner fit an alarm. They are not very expensive around $20.00 each from the local DIY stores, a small price to pay if they save a life.

Make sure you check the alarm is working regular, the same as you would with the home smoke detectors. These alarms could save your life.

If you think you may have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning seek medical advise straight away, contact your local doctors and explain your feelings, they can carry out a blood test to see if you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide can be caused in many ways, it’s normally due to lack of maintenance of the appliances and chimneys, or if the air to the appliance is restricted.

For Carbon monoxide detector alarms, test kits or batteries visit Martens True Value Hardware in Reedsburg today!

.

.

.

Contact a Gas Safe Company to visit your home and check all your appliances are safe to use. They will be able to advise you if there is a problem. You can find a local company by visiting the Gas safe Register online.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Steve_Duval/2304033

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.